5.1-magnitude quake again hits Nepal

A 5.1-magnitude earthquake on Saturday struck Nepal at 11.30 a.m. with its epicentre at Barpark in Gorkha district, seismologist Mukunda Bhattarai from the National Seismology Centre (NSC) said.

This is the third quake with its epicenter in Gorkha after the deadly tremor on April 25.

A series of tremors and aftershocks have struck the Himalayan nation in the last one week and has made it difficult for the people to return to thier houses.

According to the data provided by the home ministry, the temblor has so far claimed over 6,500 lives. The details are awaited.

–IANS

Arranged marriage film uses new distribution model in US

What makes well-travelled urban Indians, who have freedom and privilege, choose arranged marriages over love?

“What’s Love Got To Do With It?” an unscripted micro-budget feature documentary exploring the evolving arranged marriage scenario with humour will have a novel US theatrical on demand release in May through Gathr.

Gathr Films new distribution model allows a film’s audience to take action and directly participate in bringing the film to their community, according to a media release.

AIMIM lodges police complaint against Telugu daily

All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) lodged a complaint with the Hyderabad police against the alleged “pictorial depiction” of Prophet Mohammed in a Telugu daily and sought registration of a criminal case, the party officially announced in Hyderabad on Friday.

According to a press release issued here by the AIMIM, in a complaint addressed to Hyderabad Police Commissioner, the party alleged that the Telangana edition of the Telugu daily dated May 1, published from Hyderabad, prominently carried an article on page 12 entitled ‘Mahopakari Mohammed Pravakta’.

Families of eloping couple ostracised by panchayat in Muzaffarnagar

A community panchayat has decided to socially boycott families of a couple who had eloped recently in neighbouring Shamli district, police said on Saturday.

The panchayat was called yesterday after a girl and a boy belonging to different communities eloped about 15 days ago, which led to tension in Banat town, they said.

The panchayat had decided to ostracise the two families, Circle officer Nishank Sharma said.

He said that they are keeping an eye on the development.

“We are taking all precautionary measures to check any disruption of law and order in the district,” Sharma said.

Royal wait! Kate Middleton goes into labour

As the world awaits second royal baby after Prince George—the Duchess Of Cambridge has meanwhile been admitted to St Mary’s hospital’s Lindo Wing​ in Paddington for labour. According to reports, the Duchess of Cambridge is several days overdue with her second child as the date was somewhere in April.

Further it has been reported that Prince William is expected to be by her side while she delivers her second royal baby. Kate was driven to the hospital from her London home, Kensington Palace.

New York City named world’s best for young people to live in

There is good news for young people residing in New York City or planning to move to the city as it has been named top city for youth.

According to a survey, the New York City grabbed the top spot in the world’s top 55 cities for youth list followed by London and Berlin, News.com.au reported.

Sonja Miokovic, co-founder of Youthful Cities said that half of the world’s population is under 30 years old and half now live in cities and youth and cities especially the largest ones will together shape the future of the planet.

Market turns distinctly weak; Sensex, Nifty down 1.5 pct

Distinctly weak tendency prevailed for the third week in a row as the benchmark S&P BSE Sensex and the CNX Nifty plunged by another 1.5 pct to close at almost four-month low on host of negative factors during the truncated week under review.

The BSE and the NSE were closed on May 1, for observing “Maharashtra Day” holiday.

Farmer dies of ‘shock’ due to crop damage

A 65-year-old farmer died allegedly due to shock after seeing the damage to his crops due to unseasonal rain in Nathna village in the district, police said.

“According to the information provided by the family of the deceased, he died of shock after seeing his damaged wheat crop last night,” SDM Ramanuj Singh said.

The deceased had left his harvested crop in his two bighas of land which got damaged due to untimely rain, Singh said.

He added that necessary steps were being taken to help the family get financial help from Chief Minister’s discretionary fund.

–PTI

Karan Johar to present Hindi version of ‘Baahubali’

Filmmaker Karan Johar will present the upcoming two-part epic film “Baahubali”, originally made in Telugu and Tamil, in Hindi.

The movie, helmed by Telugu director S S Rajamouli, is set to release on July 10.

“Proud and honoured to present ssrajamouli’s labor of love… #LiveTheEpic #Baahubali… Releasing 10th July,2015!” tweeted Johar, 42.

Rajamouli welcomed the “Student of the Year” director on the project.

“Delighted to be associated with karanjohar who wil b presenting #Baahubali in Hindi. Welcome aboard, Sir. Looking forward to a happy sailing,” he posted on Twitter.

‘Congress needs to be led by younger person under Sonia Gandhi’s guidance: S M Krishna

Former union external affairs minister S.M. Krishna on Saturday said that the Congress Party will eventually have to be led by a younger person (read Rahul Gandhi) but under the supreme guidance and overall mentorship of party president Sonia Gandhi.

“More than 50 percent of people in this country are in the age group of 30. So, it is but natural that the Congress eventually will have to be led by a younger person, under the supreme guidance and overall

mentorship of Sonia Gandhi who has led the party in an exemplary manner,” said Krishna.

BJP downplays Arun Shourie’s comment on PM Modi-led Govt.

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Saturday downplayed former NDA minister Arun Shourie’s remarks about the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government and said Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s priorities are very clear.

The focus, it said, is on creating a policy environment which helps in the growth of industries across all sectors.

Self-styled Maoist commander surrenders before Visakhapatnam Police

A senior Maoist leader has surrendered before police in Andhra Pradesh’s Visakhapatnam District.

Vantala Mallesh, 40, surrendered his arms before the police. He was wanted in 46 cases, including six murder cases.

Deputy Inspector General of Police, A. Ravichandra, said the government provided him with a rehabilitation package to lead a normal life.

“The Deputy Commander of the Korukonda Area Committee surrendered before the police on health grounds and also said he didn’t like the killing of tribals by the Maoists,” Ravichandra said.

VC of Urdu University challenged for open debate

Senior CPI leader and former MP Aziz Pasha has challenged Vice Chancellor Mohammed Miyan for an open debate in connection with irregularities and violation of rules in Urdu University. Aziz Pasha told that he was ready for debate on irregularities continued in the university for several years. If there is complete transparency in appointment and other university affairs then Vice Chancellor should fix time, day and date for the debate.

Moga molestation case:” Gods will” Punjab education minister statement

Punjab Education Minister Surjit Singh Rakhra on Saturday sparked a fresh row of controversy after he termed the Moga molestation incident as an ‘accident’ and added that accidents happen by ‘god’s will’.

“Nobody can stop accidents; whatever happens, happens by god’s will. We will take precautions in the future but cannot stand in front of nature, whether it’s an accident or any other thing,” said Rakhra.

The 13-year-old girl died after she and her mother were allegedly pushed off a moving bus after being molested on April 29.

No water facility at Petlaburj maternity hospital

The Maternity Hospital at Petlaburj has thousands of pregnant women and these chunks of the patients are from old city, Mahboob Nagar, Rangareddy, Nalgonda, Medak and Nizamabad districts.

Though the hospital is plagued with several problems but the latest addition is the visitors are facing difficulties in getting drinking water in this peak of Summer.

If one has a visit to the Maternity Hospital, which is supposed to have a sophisticated facility, will be surprised that even basic water facility is not available.

Denied ‘incentive’, 17 reconvert to Islam in UP

The conversion controversy resurfaced after a brief lull in Uttar Pradesh’s Agra district, about 350 km from here, when as many as 17 Muslims, who had converted to Hinduism, “returned” to their old faith.

According to sources, the reconversion rituals were performed at the Mahuar Lathia village in the district during a religious ceremony by a Muslim cleric on Friday.

Reports said all 17 men and women had to again solemnise their “nikah” (Muslim marriage) as the cleric told them their earlier “nikah” had become null and void when they converted to Hinduism last December.

Celebrity Cricket League on June 21

A cricket match would be held between film stars of Telugu and Tamil industry on June 21. The proceeds of the match will be handed over to Telangana CM’s Relief Fund to support welfare programmes implemented by the State. In this connection a delegation of Telangana Film Chamber of Commerce led by its president P Ramakrishna Goud met chief minister KCR and informed their plans to conduct the match. About Rs 10 crore to Rs 12 crore is expected to be generated from the match.

Siasat news

PolyCET 2015: free coaching for minorities

According to Prof. S A Shukoor, Director CEDM, Centre for Education and Development of Minorities (CEDM) which is funded by the Minorities’ Welfare Department of Telangana State will provide free coaching to candidates belonging to Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, Parsi and Jain communities appearing in PolyCET 2015 from 11-05-2015 to 27-05-2015 at following centres. Centre for educational Development for Minorities, Nizam College Campus, Gunfoundry, Hyderabad, Govt. High School Zaheerabad, Govt. High School Khaleelwadi Auto Nagar Nizamabad, Govt.

Award function and Mushaera at Urdu Ghar today

Anjuman Baqa-e-Urdu is organising Award Function and a Mushaira on May 2, at 6:30 pm, at Urdu Ghar Moghalpura. Deputy Police Commissioner Narayan, Prof. S A Shukoor Secretary Urdu Academy, Jalaluddin Akber Secretary Minority Finance Corporation and Mohammed Azam Ali Khurram TRS leader Greater Hyderabad will attend the programme.

Siasat news

Prophet (pbuh) depicted in Andhra Prabha, Muslims protest, editor apologizes

An articles based on teachings of Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) was published in Andhra Prabha the Telugu Daily on Friday. The article was written by Mr. Mahboob Basha R/O of Bhadrachalam. A picture was also published along with the article which enraged Muslims of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. Strong protest was staged against the blasphemous act. Dharna was staged on district offices of the newspaper by Jamiat Ulama –e-Hind Andhra Pradesh. Earlier complaints were also lodged in various police stations of the city for hurting the religious sentiments of Muslims.

Nepal quake toll rises to 6,624

The death toll in Nepal’s devastating earthquake today jumped to 6,624 with another 14,025 people injured as the government struggles to deal with the scale of the disaster.

“The death toll has reached 6,624,” said the home ministry’s national disaster management division.

A further 14,025 people were injured in the quake, it added.A fresh 4.5-magnitude aftershock this morning triggered panic among the people, who scrambled for open spaces.

Set up separate jails for terrorists, segregate them from ordinary prisoners: Rajnath singh

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Friday issued an advisory to states and union territories asking them to set up new and separate prisons, outside the city area, for housing only terrorists.

MHA added, till the time separate jails are being built, movement of high-risk prisoners should be restricted inside jails to stop them from indoctrinating other prisoners.

The Home Ministry’s suggestion has come in the wake of reports received from central security agencies.

Charlie Hebdo says prize protest a ‘misunderstanding’

Two of the surviving journalists from French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo have brushed off controversy over a literary award.

In January, 12 members of the magazine’s staff were massacred when two Islamist gunmen — enraged by caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed — stormed an editorial meeting in Paris.

This month, the publication is to be honoured by the PEN authors association, but more than 150 writers have pulled out of the event in protest at cartoons they say are offensive to France’s minority populations.