Another fatal accident hits US-owned mine in Indonesia

An Indonesian man died today in the second fatal accident in around two weeks to hit a US-owned mine in eastern Indonesian, the operator said, raising fresh safety concerns at the site.

The accident comes after a tunnel collapsed at Freeport-McMoRan’s giant Grasberg mine in Papua province on
May 14, killing 28 workers undergoing safety training. The other 10 in the training session were rescued.

Herman Wahid died in hospital today, a day after a surge of wet ore material in an underground mine engulfed the truck he was operating.

Businessman shot dead

A businessman was shot dead by miscreants at Katwa in Burdwan district this evening, police sources said.

Rajkumar Mondal (42) was shot dead by the miscreants at the station bazar area of Katwa, the sources said.

He was immediately rushed to the Katwa Sub-Divisional Hospital which referred him to Burdwan Medical College
Hospital.

Mondal died at the Burdwan Medical College Hospital.

Superintendent of Police of Burdwan S M H Mirza said police has launched raids to nab the miscreants.

Meanwhile, the Trinamool Congress claimed that Mondal was their supporter.

Haryana all set for municipal polls tomorrow

All necessary arrangements have been made for smooth and peaceful conduct of elections to the seven municipal corporations in Haryana tomorrow.

The municipal corporations which will go to the polls are Ambala, Panchkula, Karnal, Panipat, Hisar, Rohtak and
Yamunanagar.

Besides, polls will also be held in two municipal committees of Farukh Nagar (Gurgaon) and Kalanaur (Rohtak),
Haryana’s Election Commissioner Dharam Vir said here today.

Jailed Pussy Riot member ends hunger strike

A jailed member of the punk group Pussy Riot today ended her 11-day hunger strike after prison authorities met her demands, an activist said.

Maria Alekhina had complained that officials at her prison colony in the Ural Mountains attempted to turn fellow
inmates against her with a security crackdown.

Inmates, who could previously enter and leave their workplace freely, had to wait for up to an hour for prison guards to escort them.

Pyotr Verzilov, the husband of Alekhina’s jailed band mate Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, told The Associated Press that

CM launches civic projects, Krishna Phase-III

Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy said that to improve drinking water supply in the GHMC area, the State Government would spend Rs.8,000 Crore this year and Rs 3,000 Crorenext year.

Kiran Kumar Reddy laid foundation stone for Krishna Phase-III water scheme for the GHMC area. He also addressed a public meeting at Saheb Nagar.

Mobile seized from Shahbuddin in raids in jail before bypoll

Two mobile phones, including one from incarcerated RJD leader Mohammad Shahbuddin were seized during raids in Siwan jail today on the eve of by-poll for Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat.

A mobile phone and two sim cards have been seized from cell of Shahbuddin, police sources said adding an another cell
phone and a sim card was found from other prisoner.

Police has been conducting raids consecutively for the past two days in Siwan jail in view of by-election to
Maharajganj constituency slated for tomorrow.

Over 1500 women participate in Siasat Cookery show

Over 1,500 women took part in the popular Siasat Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Cookery show at Sana Gardens near Charminar which was inaugurated by Siasat Editor Zahid Ali Khan here on Saturday.

Speaking on the occasion, Zahid Ali Khan asked women folk to eat healthy and learn good cuisines from the program. He said that this was one of the most popular programs of Siasat which was getting more popular each year but Siasat would not hesitate to organize programs wherein women could develop their skills and use them for better purposes.

MCA wants proper procedure to be followed at BCCI meet

While supporting the increasing clamour from members for the resignation of under-fire BCCI President N Srinivasan, Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) wants a proper procedure to be followed in achieving this objective.

MCA today insisted that everything should be done as per the BCCI’s constitution at the crucial Working Committee
meeting in Chennai tomorrow.

We don’t support any scandal in cricket. But we want a proper process to be followed so that any decision taken can
stand in a court of law,” MCA President Ravi Savant said on eve of the meet.

Syria rebels brace for new assault on Qusayr

Syrian rebels today braced for a new assault on their beleaguered stronghold of Qusayr by the army and its Hezbollah allies, who were bolstering positions north of the town, a watchdog said.

Fears of another move on the town renewed concerns about the fate of an unknown number of civilians still trapped
there, including an estimated 1,000 wounded.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon demanded that both sides allow civilians to flee.

Rami Abdel Rahman, director of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights watchdog, told AFP that “there are ongoing

Jammu CT dept records over 25% growth rate during last fiscal

The Commercial Taxes Department, Jammu has achieved over 25 per cent growth in revenue collection at Rs 2,972.77 crore in the last fiscal.

The Commercial Taxes Department has recorded a growth rate of 26.08 per cent in revenue realisation for the year
2012-13,” Commissioner Commercial Taxes, Kifayat Rizvi, said during a review meeting chaired by Minister for Finance and Planning, Abdul Rahim Rather, here today.

The department has registered revenue to the tune of Rs 2,972.77 crore during last fiscal against Rs 2,357.80 crore
recorded during 2011-12,” Rizvi said.

Tremor in Kolkata and South 24 Parganas district

An earthquake of slight intensity,measuring 3.6 on the Richter Scale, was felt in the metropolis and neighbouring South 24-Parganas district in West Bengal this evening.

A spokesman of the regional seismological office told PTI that the tremor occurred 28 km below the earth’s surface at
6.58 pm.

There was no report of any casualty or damage, police sources said.

—————–PTI

Iraq says Qaeda poison gas cell busted in Baghdad

Iraq’s defence ministry today said that it has broken up an Al-Qaeda cell that was working to produce poison gas at two locations in the capital for future attacks at home and abroad.

The group of five people built two facilities to produce sarin and mustard gas, using instructions from another
Al-Qaeda group, spokesman Mohammed al-Askari told a news conference.

The members of the cell were prepared to launch attacks domestically, and also had a network to smuggle the toxins to neighbouring countries, and also to Europe and North America, Askari said.

Gastro outbreak: SC Commission meets victims’ families

To listen to the grievances of 47 families who had lost their kin seven months back during an outbreak of gastroenteritis in the locality, a team of Scheduled Caste Commission today visited the affected Gandhi
Camp.

Led by Vice Chairman of the Commission, Raj Kumar Verka, the team inspected the living condition of around 20,000
people residing in that locality and also listened to the several causes that led to the death of 47 persons in a month in that slum locality.

‘J&K rehabilitation policy for youths to start life afresh’

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today said his government’s rehabilitation policy for the youth stuck in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) was aimed at “soothing their wounds and providing them an opportunity to return.”

Government in real sense soothed the wounds by delisting the families of militants from the black list and provided
them opportunity of return (from PoK under the rehabilitation policy) to those who had not resorted to violence and guns,” Omar told a gathering at Delina, 55 km from here, in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district.

Report: Afghan Taliban delegation visits Iran

Tehran has hosted a delegation of the Afghan Taliban, the radical Sunni group that has long been a sworn enemy of Iran’s ruling Shiite clerics.

The semi-official Fars agency reported today that the Taliban held talks with Iranian intelligence officials.

Fars says the visitors came from the Taliban’s political office in Qatar. The group recently opened a mission in the
Gulf Arab country to provide a venue where Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s emissaries could hold talks with the Taliban to try to find a peaceful end to the 12-year war in Afghanistan.

Nawaz Sharif formally nominated for PM’s post

Nawaz Sharif was Saturday formally nominated as candidate for the position of Pakistan’s prime minister by the newly-elected members of parliament, said sources in his Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) party.

The party won majority seats in the May 11 general elections and is in a strong position to form the government, reported Xinhua.

Lawmakers of the PML-N, who met in Islamabad, formally nominated Sharif to lead Pakistan for the third time.

Advani seems to prefer MP CM Chouhan to Modi

BJP leader LK Advani on Saturday appeared to prefer an “humble” Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan over Narendra Modi in the race for BJP’s Prime Ministerial face in next Lok Sabha elections.

“Atal Bihari Vajpayee implemented several developmental schemes including road network but he always remained very humble and far away from arrogance.

Rape victim commits suicide, accused arrested

A youth was today arrested for allegedly raping a 16-year-old rape victim who later committed suicide for fear of social stigma over the incident, police said today.

According to police, the accused, one Pawan Kumar (23), was arrested today for allegedly raping the girl a few days back at Dharuhera.

Following the incident, the girl allegedly committed suicide by hanging herself on May 27, police said, adding that the accused was today produced in a local court which has remanded him in police custody.

—PTI

Neighbour rapes minor girl

A 10-year-old girl was raped by her neighbour here, police said Saturday. The accused has been arrested.

“The girl was playing outside her house at Samai pur Badali area in west Delhi Friday evening. Her neighbour Malkhan Singh lured her to an isolated area and raped her,” a police officer said.

The victim’s mother found her crying and approached police.

Singh, 25, a labourer was arrested from his house after a medical examination confirmed that the girl had been raped.

–PTI

16-year-old alleges rape, accused refutes charges

A 16-year-old girl, who had gone missing a few days back, today appeared before the police and alleged she was abducted and raped by her neighbour.

The girl has been referred for medical examination, police said.

The man, who has been arrested, has refuted the charges saying the girl had come with him on her own will as they were in a relationship and wanted to marry.

They had to elope as the girl’s parents were opposed to their relationship, he said.

The girl had gone missing some days back after which her parents had lodged an FIR, accusing the youth of abducting her.

Delhi acid attack victim dies

A nurse from Delhi who was attacked with acid May 2 here died Saturday, her grieving family said.

Preeti Rathi died in a private hospital.

“Doctors removed the ventilator and other medical aids, which kept her alive, around 4 p.m.,” Amar Singh Rathi, the victim’s father, told IANS.

Acid was flung on Preeti, 25, by some unknown people as she got off the New Delhi-Mumbai Garib Rath Express at Bandra Terminus May 2 morning to join her job as a nurse in the army hospital here.

–IANS

Narayana Murthy’s son to join Infosys as his assistant

Rohan Murty, son of Infosys co-founder and re-appointed executive chairman N.R. Narayana Murthy, will join the company as an executive assistant to his father, the company announced here Saturday.

Infosys said in a statement that Narayana Murthy has requested the board to permit him to put together a team to allow him to function more effectively.

The team will include his son, Rohan, as Narayana Murthy’s executive assistant.

Rohan is a junior fellow of the Society of Fellows at Harvard University.

Pregnant rape victim moves court for help in delivery

Abandoned by her family, a rape victim who is eight months pregnant has moved the Delhi High Court seeking medical and financial assistance to give birth to her baby as she is too poor to bear the expenses.

The court issued notice to the central and Delhi governments Friday on the plea of the 19-year-old, who also sought government care for her baby till the age of 18.

Justice Rajiv Shakdher asked union women and child development ministry and the Delhi government to file their responses by June 6.