Naidu to campaign in Kovvur on Sunday

Telugu Desam president N Chandrababu Naidu will undertake election campaign for its party candidate Somireddy Chandramohan Reddy in the Kovvur Assembly constituency on Sunday.

According to a statement, the TDP chief will visit 15 villages and hold road shows during his tour. He will commence his campagin from Salu Chintala, Pothperrypalem, Gangavaram, Damaramadugu, Lakshmipuram, Rebala, Iskapalem Nagamambapuram, Williams peta, Ramapuram and Yellayapalem.

CEO reviews arrangements for by-polls

Chief Electoral Officer Bhanwar Lal on Saturday stated that 13,81,443 voters including 11,962 new voters will cast their franchise in the by-elections to be held in seven Assembly constituencies in the State.

Talking to media persons after conducting a review meeting with officials on the last day of withdrawal of nominations, he said that the police have so far seized 240 vehicles, Rs 3.6 crore cash and 72,000 liters of liquor being transported in and around the assembly segments and arrested 358 persons as part of precautionary measure.

GHMC’s ‘Face 2 Face’ loses glamour

The monthly ‘Face to Face’ programme of the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation appears to be losing its glamour.

At one side, the number of complaints received in the programme is coming down each month and on the other, it seems the GHMC officials too are not taking the programme seriously. On Saturday, only 12 telephone calls were received during the Face to Face programme held at the GHMC Heaquarters at Tank Bund.

YSR Cong gets ‘fan’, Nagam takes ‘auto’

With the last date for withdrawal of nominations for the by-elections coming to an end on Saturday, as many as 67 candidates have in fray from seven assembly constituencies in the State.

According to Chief Electoral Officer Banwarlal, as many as 14 candidates were in the fray from Kovvur Assembly constituency followed by Mahbubnagar -13, Nagarkurnool 11, Kollapur-9, Kamareddy -9, Adilabad-6 and Station Ghanapur -5.

APPSC announces schedule for Group – I exams

The Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission on Saturday announced examination schedule for the Group I mains.

Talking to media persons here, APPSC secretary Poonam Malakondaiah said that the commission has decided to conduct the Group I main examinations from September 3 to 12 from morning 10 to 1 pm. The preliminary examination will be held on May 27 for 263 posts. The number of candidates who applied for prelims is 3,02,922.

She said that the Commission has decided to announce examination schedule before six months on the lines of Union Public Service Commission. (INN)

CPI to go alone in by-polls campaign

Communist Party of India state secretary K Narayana on Saturday stated that his party would go for the by-elections campaign individually.

Talking to media persons at his party office, Narayana stated that the party would not go along with Telangana Political Joint Action Committee during the campaign though it supports the JAC.

Regarding liquor auctions, Narayana said that his party would attack the auction centres during the invitation of tenders for the same in next two months. He warned the government of serious consequences if it does not change the policy on liquor auction.

Over 50,000 students skip inter second year exam

Over seven lakh students appeared for the intermediate second year examinations which began throughout the State on Saturday.

However, of 7,75,920 students who registered for the general and 66,850 for the vocational, 52,537 or 6.21 per cent abstained from the exams. The reasons for such a high percentage of absentees could not be ascertained.

On Saturday, exams were held for Telugu paper –II, Sanskrit paper-II, Hindi Paper-II, Urdu paper – II and Arabic paper – II subjects.

Jagan’s party will merge with the Congress: TG

Minor Irrigation Minister T G Venkatesh on Saturday hoped that the YSR Congress party would merge into the Congress party on the lines of Praja Rajyam Party soon.

Talking to media persons, Venkatesh said that the MLAs who quit the Congress party were now making efforts to join the parent party due to bleak political future for the YSR Congress party and due to its president’s involvement in various corruption cases. He hoped the YSR Congress party would merge into Congress soon.

Congress expresses confidence of winning by-elections

Pradesh Congress Committee president Botsa Satyanarayana on Saturday expressed confidence that the Congress candidates would win in the by-elections to be held for 17 Assembly segments which would go for by-elections due to the disqualification of rebel MLAs.

Talking to media persons at Gandhi Bhavan, Botsa said that the Congress party would field its candidates from all the constituencies and would make collective efforts to win the by-elections. “The party will be collectively responsible for victory or defeat of candidates in the by-elections,” he said.

Disqualified MLAs thank Speaker

The MLAs of YS Jagan Group on Saturday thanked Speaker Nadendla Manohar for disqualifying them from the State Legislative Assembly under the Anti Defection Act.

TDP and Congress will lose deposits: Vinod

Former TRS MP B Vinod Kumar on Saturday stated that both ruling Congress and Opposition Telugu Desam would lose their deposits in the ensuing by-elections for six constituencies to be held in the Telangana region on March 18.

Chief Whip hails disqualification of rebel MLAs

Government chief whip Gandra Venkata Ramana Reddy on Saturday justified Speaker Nadendla Manohar’s action in disqualifying 16 Congress MLAs who switched loyalties to YSR Congress party.

Talking to media persons, Gandra Venkata Ramana Reddy hailed the Speaker’s decision and said that the Congress party would appeal the Legislative Council Chairman to initiate action against the MLCs, who indulged in anti-party activities.

BJP ready to punish Varun Gandhi

If sources are to be believed, difficult time is awaiting Varun Gandhi as Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) seems upset with him (Varun Gandhi) and they decided to punish him once UP assembly polls finish. Citing the news, many started speculating, will Rahul Gandhi and Congress come forward to help his brother?

Zakia Jafri’s plea to make public SIT report rejected

The Ahmedabad Metropolitan Court has rejected the demand of Zakia Jafri, widow of the slain former Congress member in the Lok Sabha, Ehsan Jafri, for making public the report of the Supreme-Court-appointed Special Investigation Team on the 2002 Gujarat riots, with particular reference to the Gulberg Society massacre.

Tajikistan blocks access to Facebook, news sites

Tajikistan blocked local access to Facebook and two Russian-language sites that published an article critical of its long-serving president on Saturday, representatives of two Internet providers said.

The shutdown was ordered by the state-run communications service, the local Internet providers told Reuters, requesting anonymity. Users who tried to access Facebook or the two websites, which published a story critical of President Imomali Rakhmon, were automatically re-directed to the home page of their provider.

Rs 150 cr spent but no docs for 2 high-tech hospitals

Two super-speciality hospitals built at over Rs 150 crore are wasting away in the capital for the last four years. The Delhi government has not been able to hire doctors and paramedics to run them.

The 650-bed Rajiv Gandhi Superspeciality hospital in Tahirpur and a 300-bed hospital in Janakpuri were inaugurated in 2008 to cater to a daily footfall of 10,000 patients in north and west Delhi.
The areas do not have super-speciality hospitals for cardio-neuro-gastro emergencies. All the big speciality government hospitals are in south and central Delhi and overburdened.

Jail custody for three in Park street rape case

A city court today sent three persons, accused of gangraping an Anglo-Indian woman in a moving car in the city on February five, to judicial custody till March 17, after their police custody ended today.

The police custody of the accused Sumit Bajaj, Nasser Ali and Ruhman Khan ended today and the chief metropolitan magistrate’s court remanded them to 14 days�’ judicial custody on production.

Poonam Pandey’s Twitter account should be blocked: Pol

Poonam Pandey is a name which when heard lure millions and that too for one single reason, her sizzling nudity. She has become a sensation on the internet world and that too in a very short span.

We have published many stories which read that models and actresses like Poonam, Sunny Leone, Sherlyn Chopra and Veena Malik are causing a distraction to the varied culture of our country and we are happy to know that people too have voted out in the same line.

On Poonam’s semi-nude act on the social network, Pardaphash started a poll to know people’s views over the complete picture.

US to ask Israel to let sanctions affect Iran

US President Barack Obama has plans to ask Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Natanyahu next week not to attack Iran’s nuclear facilities in the coming months and let sanctions take full effect, reports said here Saturday.

Obama would meet Netanyahu Monday and try to persuade Netanyahu to wait for the effectiveness of sanctions and realise dangers of an Israeli attack, Xinhua reported.

“We’re trying to make the decision to attack as hard as possible for Israel,” Washington Post quoted a US administrative official as saying on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

UP may go to Samajwadi, blow to Rahul as vote ends

The Samajwadi Party was most likely to take power in Uttar Pradesh amid a hung assembly, exit polls said Saturday as staggered balloting ended in India’s most populous state with a record voting by 60 percent of its 127 million voters.

Three of four exit polls were unanimous that no one party would command a majority in the 403-member state legislature but the Samajwadi would be on top of a mainly four-horse race that began Feb 8.

China calls for end to Syria violence

Fears mounted about the fate of several thousand residents stuck in the Bab Amr district of the Syrian city of Homs on Saturday as Syrian authorities for a second day blocked Red Cross aid meant for civilians stranded for weeks without food and fuel in the former rebel stronghold.

Pakistani politician escapes bid on life, cop killed

One policeman died in northwest Pakistan Saturday when a suicide bomber attacked a convoy carrying a local politician.

Aftab Ahmad Sherpao was returning from a public gathering when his convoy was attacked around 5.00 p.m. in Charsadda district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, police said. He was safe.

Eight others, including a provincial assembly member and two policemen, were injured.

The Taliban has claimed the responsibility for the attack.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik has ordered the local authorities to conduct a thorough investigation.

Eight missing after vessel sinks in China

Two sailors were rescued but eight others were missing after a cargo vessel sank off the southern coast of China, authorities said Saturday.

Boyun 018 had 10 crewmembers aboard when it collided with a Panama-registered ship around 9 p.m. Friday off Zhuhai city. Search for the missing sailors was on Saturday.

TDP promises to pay Rs 50,000 each for Telangana ‘martyrs’ family

In a move that could draw the ire of Election Commission, the Telugu Desam Party on Saturday announced that it would pay Rs 50,000 to the families of youth who committed suicide demanding statehood for Telangana region.

Talking to reporters at Assembly media point, Telugu Desam Party senior leader Motkupalli Narasimhulu said that the party would pay a compensation of Rs 50,000 to the families of youth who committed suicide for the Telangana cause. However, he said that the payment would be made after the elections.