Dadri: Youth ‘wanted’ in Akhlaq’s case found dead

Jay Prakash, a 24-year-old was found dead under mysterious circumstances at his house. His family alleged that he was facing police harassment following the lynching of a man over beef rumour. Jay’s house is near Akhlaq’s, who was killed by a mob a week ago over rumour of eating beef.

Jay Prakash worked as a daily labourer. The incident was reported around 11 AM after which a police team rushed to the village in Dadri, Uttar Pradesh, nearly 60 kms from Delhi.

Agitated villagers did not allow Jay Prakash’s body to be removed from the spot until media arrived. Police later took away the body and said that the cause of death could be ascertained only after the post-mortem examination.

There are visible signs on the deceased persons body suggesting the cause and time of death. Investigation has been taken up but no conclusions can be drawn until the postmortem report is obtained.
– Ranvir Singh, Sub-inspector

Jay Prakash lived with his mother Omvati, wife Guddi, and two brothers. His father Ram Avatar Singh passed away a few years ago. Jay was the eldest of the three siblings. While his younger brother Ravi (20) had recently shifted to Bihar, the youngest is Vijender (18).

Prakash’s mother Omvati alleged police harassment and said that her son was under immense pressure despite his name not being in the list of absconders.

Villagers claimed that the police had been looking for Jay Prakash and his brothers for the past one week and his family was terrified because of that.

Police are raiding houses in the village every day, leading to immense tension. They are harassing all, including people like Jay Prakash whose name was not present in the absconders’ list.
–Hari Ram Singh, a village representative

Senior police officials confirmed that Jay Prakash’s name was not in the list of absconders and denied allegations about raiding houses and spreading any kind of terror.

Jay Prakash’s body was discovered by his relatives, who raised an alarm and within minutes a large number of villagers gathered. The police was informed immediately, said an official.

Yesterday, the administration had summoned 25 village heads from Bisahara and neighbouring areas and held a meeting in which they discussed ways to stop rumour mongers who are believed to have influenced youth in the villages, leading to the violence.