Kerala Muezzin murder case: 3 alleged RSS workers arrested

Kasaragod: Three RSS workers have been detained in connection to the murder case of young Madrassa teacher Mohammed Riyaz Moulavi, in Kasargod in Kerala, earlier this week, police said.

Under the influence of liquor and narcotic products, the trio committed  the murder in order to trigger communal unrest in Kasaragod district, as per reports published in

34-year-old Riyaz, a Muezzin (the official who proclaims the call to prayer) and Madrassa teacher from nearby Choori had been murdered on Monday by the trio who entered the compound of Muhayuddin Juma masjid of Choori and allegedly slit his throat in his room, killing him on the spot.

A special Investigation team (SIT) arrested three active BJP-RSS workers at 9:50 am on Friday.

The accused S. Ajesh (20),  work in a private bank, Nidhin (19) and Akhilesh (25), both were casual labourers.

SIT sources said the accused have confessed to have committed the shocking crime during interrogation and all three will be produced before local court on Friday remanded to judicial custody for 14 days.

Kannur Crime Branch Superintendent of Police Dr. Srinivas, who is heading the SIT, said that Ajesh barged into the room adjacent to the mosque where Riyas was slept and slit his throat with a wedge- shaped weapon leaving him dead.

Also Read: Sec 144 imposed after brutal murder of Madrassa teacher in Kerala

Police says, “Anyone who came in their way would have been subjected to their madness that night.” Ajesh walked into the building where the Moulavi slept and Nitin and Akhilesh followed him on a bike. Ajesh allegedly attacked the Moulavi and when a neighbour from the next room came out, hearing the cries, Nitin attacked him with a stone.

The murder has triggered minor incidents of violence in the area prompting the District Collector (DC) issued the prohibitory orders for a week in the district.

Also Read: Madrassa teacher hacked to death in Kerala

Riyaz, a native of Madikeri in Karnataka was working as a teacher at the Ijjattul Islam Madrassa for the last nine years.

The body of Riyas was not brought to the district and was handed over to his family in Karnataka to avoid further flare-ups.