Pune: Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) chief Sharad Pawar announced on Monday that he will not contest the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
“I thought that already two members of my family are contesting the election and this was the time one should think about not contesting. Hence, I felt this is the right time to take a decision not to contest since I had already contested 14 times in the past,” he said.
Earlier last month, the former Union Minister had said that he will contest the upcoming Lok Sabha polls, while his nephew Ajit Pawar and some other family members will not contest.
NCP is contesting the polls in alliance with the Congress in Maharashtra where 48 Lok Sabha seats are at stake.
On Sunday, Election Commission of India had announced the schedule for the 17th Lok Sabha election, which will be held in seven phases beginning April 11. The final phase of voting will take place on May 19. The counting of votes will be done on May 23.