New Delhi: Contradicting the theory of mandatory rest after embryo transfer during an IVF cycle, a new research has revealed that resuming daily activities soon after the transfer helps in improving blood flow to the uterus and overall body.
Embryo transfer is a step in the process of assisted reproduction wherein embryos are placed into the uterus of a woman to establish pregnancy.
The conclusion was reached after analysing 450 patients seeking in-vitro fertilisation treatment between January 2016 and October 2016.
According to doctors, 76 per cent of the patients, who resumed regular activities after embryo transfer, had successful conception and delivery in comparison to those who took rest. The remaining 24 per cent had either problems in the uterus, endometrial lining or earlier history of recurrent miscarriages or hormonal imbalance.
Doctors said that one of the most common myths among couples undergoing IVF treatment is the fear of embryo suffering detachment after being implanted in the uterus if a woman does not undertake bed rest.
“The couples need to be educated and told that the human body is made with great accuracy and sense. The embryo transferred in the uterus after the procedure can not come out, be it a natural pregnancy or through IVF treatment,” said Sagarika Aggarwal, an IVF expert at the city-based Indira IVF Hospital.
“A woman can easily walk out of the clinic immediately after having an embryo transfer without facing any difficulties,” she said.
According to Aggarwal, who was part of the research, physical activities a day after the transfer also helps in reducing stress.
Parth Joshi, an Ahmedabad-based IVF expert, called for an immediate change in the physical habits of women undergoing IVF, as walking and other lighter activities also helps in tackling anxiety.
“Encouraging the patients to resume their daily routine activities soon after the transfer helps them to cope up with the treatment anxiety,” said Joshi.
Stating that as the process of treatment takes over two weeks to confirm pregnancy, which itself is a dreadful phase for any couple, the experts said that in such a condition if a woman is forced to have bed rest, it will only result in depression, worsening the outcome.
“Our focus is always to keep the whole process and conditions of the treatment procedure apparent with the patients undergoing treatment,” said the experts.