Water level in Kharkai River rises,alert sounded in Jamshedpur

An alert has been sounded in Jamshedpur and the adjoining district of Seraikela-Kharswan today in view of the increasing water level of river Kharkhai, which was flowing at red mark owing to incessant rains since last night, official sources said.

The water level in Kharkai river has touched the danger mark of 129 m at 5:30 PM and flowing at 129.80 m, while river Swarnarekha was flowing below the danger level, said District Public Relation Officer, Avinash Kumar said.

Residents living in low-lying areas, particularly in Kadma and Bagbera police stations limits, have asked to evacuate and shift to safer places, he said.

The East Singhbhum district administration has also warned people asking them to evacuate the low-lying areas and shift to nearby safer places, he said.

The Seraikela-Kharswan district administration has also alerted people living in the catchment areas and asked them to evacuate in view of the rising water level of Kharkhai.

We have asked the Block Development Officer and Ward members as well as Panchayat representatives to ask people living in catchment areas to shift to safer places, said Superintendent of Police, Indrajeet Mahatha.

The officers-in-charge of RIT and Adityapur police stations have been directed to keep vigil and intensify patrolling to ensure immediate evacuation from low-lying areas, he said.

Earlier, an infant girl was killed, while her mother and a minor boy suffered injuries when a tree fell on them due to heavy rains accompanied by gale lashed Jamshedpur last night, the police said.

The eight-month-old girl Roshni and her mother, Tiya Devi alongwith a three-year-old boy suffered injuries when a tree fell on their houses in Kanchannagar under Burmamines police station on Sunday night, the police said.

The injured were rushed to Tata Main Hospital, but the infant succumbed to her injuries, while Tiya Devi was admitted in the hospital, they said adding the boy, who suffered head injuries, was released after first aid.

Several trees and electric poles were uprooted in the strong wind that lasted for around thirty minutes with incessant rains on Sunday night, affecting normal life today.