Udhampur attack: NIA gets permission to conduct lie detector test on Naved

New Delhi :After sustained questioning for nearly eight days, alleged Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Naved Yakub was brought here today amid tight security and will be subjected to a lie detection test.

NIA Chief Sharad Kumar, who returned from his two-day visit to Jammu, said the agency has evidence that he belonged to Pakistan and was part of Lashkar-e-Taiba, which trained him in use of arms and ammunition and for recruiting cadre for expansion of the terror group.

“As far as the case of his Pakistani origin is concerned, it’s an open and shut case as NIA has enough evidence,” Kumar said.

The chief of the anti-terror agency described the case as “very sensitive” which needed to be probed thoroughly and carefully.

Naved, who is in his early 20s and hails from Faisalabad in Pakistan, has been brought here for further interrogation by various central security agencies.

The NIA chief said since Naved was still hiding certain things he will be made to undergo some scientific tests, including a lie detection test.

Naved, who was questioned yesterday in his presence of Kumar, said that he had undergone a refresher course for six weeks in Pakistan from march this year along with 25 others before infiltrating Kashmir.

This was after he had undergone two training modules—‘Daur-e-Aam’ and ‘Daura-e-Khas’. While the first module teaches LeT cadre physical fitness, mountaineering and use of small arms, in the second they are trained in using assault rifles and manufacturing small explosives.

NIA has secured his custodial remand till August 24.

Winding up his visit to Jammu, the NIA Chief visited Samraoli area in Udhampur district where Naved along with his accomplice Noman alias Momin had ambushed a BSF contingent, killing two of its personnel. Noman was killed in retaliatory fire and Naved was captured by villagers whom had taken hostage.

NIA is planning to open four makeshift offices in Jammu, Srinagar, Udhampur and Anantnag in South Kashmir for the purpose of investigation of the case, Kumar said
During his visit, Kumar held a meeting with police officers, met injured BSF personnel and inspected the bus which was fired upon by the militants.