Washington: US President Donald Trump was on Monday poised to sign a new executive order banning travel from certain Muslim-majority countries, a senior White House source said.
Counsellor Kellyanne Conway confirmed to “Fox & Friends” that Trump plans to put out the new order on Monday.
Amid confusion over the original measure, Conway said the new version includes “six or seven” points that will clarify those areas, Fox News reported.
The original order signed by Trump in January restrained immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, temporarily halted the entry of refugees and indefinitely shut down the entrance of refugees from Syria. It was blocked by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals last month.
Among other changes, Conway said the new order will clearly exclude legal permanent residents and leave Iraq off the original list at the urging of the Pentagon and State Department, where officials worried that keeping Iraq on the travel ban list could hinder the US fight against ISIS.
The new order also narrows the list of counties targeted, limiting travel and immigration from six majority-Muslim countries — Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia, Iran and Libya — instead of seven, ABC News reported.
The provision on refugees has also been changed: The new order puts a temporary halt on all refugees entering the United States. The first order included a 120-day stoppage on all refugees except Syrians, who would have been banned indefinitely.