WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump’s administration asked the US Supreme Court to immediately reinstate its ban on travellers from six Muslim-majority nations. It also said that the U.S. will be safer if the policy is put in place
The lower court has blocked the Trump’s policy that purported to be about national security but was intended to target Muslims.
The 4th US circuit court of appeals in Richmond, Virginia upheld a Maryland judge’s ruling against reinstating the travel policy by a 10-3 vote last week saying that the order violated the US constitution’s bar against favouring or discriminating against a particular religion.
At least five votes are needed on the nine-justice court in order to grant a stay. The administration also filed a separate appeal in that case.
Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores said.“We have asked the Supreme Court to hear this important case and are confident that President Trump’s executive order is well within his lawful authority to keep the nation safe and protect our communities from terrorism.”
Trump issued an executive order on March 6, implementing travel restrictions on people Libya, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen for 90 days while the government put in place stricter visa screening.
Trump issued a first travel ban order on January 27, just a week after taking office which led to chaos and protests at airports and in major US cities before it was blocked by courts.
The second order was intended to overcome the legal issues posed by the original ban, but it was blocked by judges before it could go into effect on March 16.
During the campaign, Trump called for a “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States.”