Taiwan president refuses to quit over typhoon response

Taipei, August 18: Taiwan President Ma Ying-jeou Tuesday refused to resign over the government’s slow response in rescuing typhoon victims but promised to strengthen measures to counter national disasters.

‘I have noticed the public outcry, but at this critical moment, I cannot resign,’ he said at a news conference. ‘I must supervise the rebuilding of the disaster areas and help survivors rebuild their homes.’

He offered a public apology – his third in a week – admitting that his government was slow in responding and acted ineffectively in tackling the landslides and flooding that killed an estimated 500 mountain villagers when typhoon Morakot slammed into Taiwan Aug 7.

‘We are here to offer our deepest and most sincere apology to all the people of this country, especially those who lost their loved ones during the disasters,’ Ma said.

He led his deputy, Vincent Siew; Vice Premier Paul Chiu; Defence Minister Chen Chao-min; Transport Minister Mao Chi-kuo; and other key officials in making a deep bow to the public during the news conference.

Ten days after Morakot hit, Ma said his administration would examine its slow response to the disaster but did not say whether he would fire some ministers.

Ma said he and Premier Liu Chao-shiuan had already agreed to announce early next month what to do with negligent officials.

Vice Foreign Minister Andrew Hsia has tendered his resignation over the ministry’s rejection of foreign aid, and Ma said he believed Liu would accept the resignation. Hsia has been criticised for asking the ministry’s offices abroad to turn down foreign aid if offered, a move Ma insisted was made without his knowledge.

Some lawmakers have also demanded the resignation of the defence, agriculture and interior ministers for their poor performances in rescuing people and dealing with the disaster.

Ma said he would cancel Oct 10 National Day celebrations and his visit to a South Pacific regional summit to concentrate on handling the disaster.

He unveiled a series of measures, including setting up a national disaster prevention agency, buying 15 search-and-rescue helicopters at $300 million from the US and authorising the military to make disaster rescue a ‘core task’.

The disaster response has posed the biggest challenge to the rule of Ma, who won election in March last year, as many questioned his ability to run the country and handle emergencies.

In recent days, the Presidential Office’s website has been jammed with public criticism of the government’s slow handling of the disaster.

A telephone poll of 1,847 adults by Taiwan’s Apple Daily showed 53 percent wanted Ma to resign, 36 percent wanted him to stay and 11 percent had no opinion.

Since taking office in May 2008, Ma has stabilised Taiwan’s economy and forged reconciliation with China, including opening air, sea, postal and tourism links. His public image is one of being a man of integrity but indecisive.

On Tuesday, Ma defended his leadership style, saying he believed he was decisive and strong as reflected by his swift order for the military to join in the search and rescue efforts.

Under Taiwan law, Ma can serve two four-year terms. He has expressed interest in running for re-election in the 2012 election so he can fulfill his dream of improving the island’s economy and achieving peaceful co-existence with China.

—-Agencies