Cape Town [South Africa]: South Africa’s convener of selectors Linda Zondi has said that despite having a back-up plan, Dale Steyn’s shoulder injury is a matter of concern for them.
“Dale Steyn is definitely a concern. We have looked after Dale ever since his injury in Australia and we have backed him. The way he bowled when he came back from injury was really encouraging,” Sport24 quoted Zondi, as saying.
“We are waiting for our medical team to let us know. I’m aware that he has seen the specialist already and we will be guided by them. We do have our back-ups, but that decision will only be made when the team meets up. We have our ‘Plan B’,” he added.
Steyn broke his shoulder on Test duty against Australia in Perth back in November 2016 and since then the 35-year-old has been struggling to recover completely.
Moreover, Zondi admitted that the team has been informed and they are aware of the plans going forward.
“They have been informed … we have communicated with them and they are aware of the plans going forward. We are monitoring them continuously in terms of where they are. They were notified after the squad announcement,” Zondi said.
South Africa will face England in the World Cup’s opening match on May 30.