Sohrabuddin case: CBI books Rajasthan BJP leader Kataria

New Delhi, May 15 (ANI): The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has booked senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and former Rajasthan Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria and three others for murder charges in connection with the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter killing case. Kataria is the second high profile politician to be named in the alleged fake encounter case after former Gujarat Home Minister Amit Shah, who is considered close to Chief Minister Narendra Modi. Besides Kataria, the CBI also charged Andhra Pradesh Inspector General of Police (Intelligence) N Balasubramanyam, Director of R K Marble Vimal Patni and another Andhra Pradesh police officer G Srinivasa Rao under sections related to murder, kidnapping, wrongful confinement and causing disappearance of evidence among others.

The magisterial court issued summons to Kataria and three others to appear before it after the agency filed a 500-page supplementary chargesheet, which runs into 500 pages.

They are likely to appear before the court on June 4. In its 500-page supplementary charge sheet, CBI has alleged Sheikh was “eliminated” for demanding Rs. 24 crore from Patni who was introduced to Amit Shah, also an accused in the case, by Kataria.

The Supreme Court had last year transferred the trial of Sohrabuddin Sheikh killing case to Maharashtra from Gujarat as CBI said witnesses were being intimidated and the trial could not be held in a free and fair manner in Gujarat. “This is a supplementary charge sheet against accused Vimal Patni, Gulab Chand Kataria, N Balasubramanyam, G Srinivasa Rao filed in continuation of earlier chargesheet, which is already committed to the special court Mumbai on 1st February, 2013 for offences punishable under section 120-B read with 364, 365, 368, 341, 342, 302 and 201 of IPC. Accordingly, cognizance is taken for offence punishable under section 120-B read with 364, 365, 368, 341, 342, 302 and 201 of IPC,” Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate A. A. Khan said in his order. The court also issued summons to the accused and directed them to present before it on 4th June 2013. (ANI)