New Delhi: In winters, it is crucial to take extra care of the skin and adjust our beauty regimes to protect it and hair.
Gunjan Jain, National Education Manager, Cheryl’s Cosmeceuticals, lists simple ways to ace the skincare game:
* Hydration is key: It is crucial to take sufficient water. It is the most natural way of maintaining a natural glow on your skin. Get your skin diagnosed at a salon to know your skin hydration levels.
* Moisturisation for soft and supple skin: During the cooler months, it is integral to moisturise your skin regularly as the winter air dehydrates skin cells, making it parched from the inside. It is important to use a moisturiser on your skin for a soft and supple feel. For naturally oily skin, oil-free moisturisers that contain glycerine would be your best bet. For dry skin, a moisturiser containing mineral oils and herbal active ingredients would do the trick.
* Use sunscreen even during winter: Sunscreen should be a part of one’s daily skincare regime throughout the year. Most of us limit the usage of sunscreens only to summer to protect the skin from tanning. However, it is important to know that the winter sun is harmful too as it emits ultraviolet radiations that cause photo-ageing, sun burn and pigmentation.
* Seldom exfoliation during winters: Exfoliating the skin helps in getting rid of dead cells. During winter, however, it is best to exfoliate once a week for combination and oily skin to help boost skin regeneration and absorption of creams and moisturisers. For very dry skin, it is best to completely avoid exfoliation.
* Care for your feet: And most importantly, the thick skin covering the heel is more prone to get dry during the colder months. A heel care treatment is thus important to avoid wound and cuts. Regular use of heel creams, socks and the right kind of footwear will penetrate deep within the skin and hydrate it.
Melroy Dickson, General Manager, Education, MATRIX India, shares some important haircare tips:
* Say no to dandruff: To avoid dandruff, it is important to keep the scalp clean and healthy and ensure it is not a breeding ground for bacteria. Go for a scalp detox service regularly. At home, try to alternate your regular shampoo with a dandruff shampoo to maintain a healthy scalp.
* Don’t let styling tools and setting sprays damage your hair: One should go for regular in-salon treatments to strengthen and nourish hair back to health.
* No hair breakage: To avoid this, it is important to be gentle with hair, for instance while detangling work from the ends up to the root and not the other way around.