Dubai: At least 38 Houthi militants were killed when a coalition airstrike led by Saudi Arabia targeted the building of Yemen interior ministry in Sanaa in the intervening night of Friday and Saturday.
Saudi Arabia’s official Al-Ekhbariya television said in a statement that two high-ranking insurgents were among those killed in the airstrike, Arab News reported.
The Houthis confirmed the airstrike but did not give more details.
Eyewitnesses and residents said that the airstrikes targeted other places such as Najda camp, the Dailmi air base, the presidential palace, Jabal al-Nahdeen and its militia camps and other nearby areas in Sanaa.
Earlier on Saturday, Saudi air defences reportedly intercepted four missiles fired by Houthi rebels in Jazan province bordering with Yemen in southern Saudi Arabia.
Continued missile attacks from Houthi rebels in Yemen have forced Saudi Arabia to cut off air, sea and land links from its neighbour. Saudi defence forces have also halted Yemen’s financial aids and food and fuel imports as well.
Former Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh was killed in Sanaa after days of intense fighting between Houthi rebels and his loyalist forces on December 4 last year.
Both Saleh forces and the Houthi rebels backed by Iran are battling to capture the capital city.(ANI)