- For the cake:
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the cream cheese filling:
- 1 tablespoon canned pumpkin
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1 baking sheet with greased parchment paper.
Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice into a small bowl. Crack your eggs and separate them into yolks and whites.
- Beat your egg white on high in your kitchen mixer until stiff peaks form. Remove and set aside.
- In your kitchen mixer, beat the egg yolks on high for 2 minutes until thick and lemon colored. Add sugar and beat 1 additional minute. Add the pumpkin and beat on low until incorporated.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the mixer and beat until incorporated. Gently fold in the egg whites and chopped pecans.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread the batter onto your greased baking sheet, taking care to cover the entire sheet evenly. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be careful not to overbake.
- Dust a linen towel with confectioners’ sugar. Carefully turn the cake onto the towel while it is still warm. Now, roll the cake up in the towel like a pinwheel. Place the seam-side down on clean baking sheet and place it in the fridge to cool.While the cake is cooling, whip up the filling. Sift your confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon into a small bowl and set aside. Cream the softened butter, cream cheese, vanilla and 1 tablespoon pumpkin filling in your mixer until light and fluffy. Add the sifted confectioners’ sugar and beat for 1 minute on high.
- Remove the chilled cake from the fridge and gently unroll it. Remove the towel. Spread the cream cheese filling over the cake leaving a 1 inch border on all sides. Roll the cake up again and place seam-side down on a serving platter. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve chilled.