Madurai :A petition was today filed in the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court seeking a direction to take action against Marshal Sports Private Ltd and its Managing Director, organising pro-Kabaddi league matches, for displaying harmful Chinese crackers during the beginning of the matches in major cities.
The petitioner K.K.C.Balaganesan said the Centre had banned the use of Chinese crackers and their import. Several circulars had also been issued to seize crackers imported from China and destroy them as the chemicals used were harmful and noise pollution caused was high.
But despite strict government orders, The Marshal Sports Private Ltd, organising the pro Kabaddi league in all the major cities in the country from July l8 to August 23, were holding fireworks display using Chinese crackers to encourage the viewers and players, the petitioner said.
Police had registered several cases and seized crackers imported from China illegally from 2011-15. The display of Chinese fireworks had been done despite a ban on them and it only showed that the ban had not been effectively implemented.
He had sent a representation to officials of the ministries of Home, Industries and Commerce, Sports and Games, etc but no action had been taken, the petitioner claimed.
The petitioner sought a direction to stay conduct of the Kabaddi league matches pending disposal of the plea. He also sought a court direction to seize the banned Chinese crackers from those conducting the fireworks display during matches.
He prayed with the court to direct CBI to register cases against those holding fireworks display under Explosives Act for illegally bringing crackers and displaying them.
The case has been posted for hearing tomorrow.