Ordinance on anvil for punishment to stalkers: Minister

Hyderabad, September 18: Andhra Pradesh Home minister P Sabita Reddy today said an Ordinance would be soon promulgated to provide for deterrent punishment to perpetrators of violence, including acid attacks against women.

Taking a serious view of a vagabond youth, killing the parents of a 16-year-old girl and also seriously injuring her in Rajahmundry last night, the minister said the Government was unable to introduce a bill in the budget session, which concluded on September one due to paucity of time.

As suggested by late Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy on September one, she had asked the officers concerned to prepare the Ordinance for providing stringent punishment to playing with the lives of women.

Stressing the need for counselling of students in educational institutions to curb the social menace of ragging and eve-teasing, she said parents had an important role in upbringing their children.

She said the Government would take care of the education of the girl. The East Godavari District Collector had been asked to sanction a house for the girl under the INDIRAMMA programme, she added.

—–Agencies