One charred to death in fire at cracker shop

Anand: One person was today charred to death and another severely injured after a firecracker shop caught fire here, police said.

“A licenced fire cracker shop, Bholenath Crackers, caught fire due to which one person who was working at the shop was charred to death while another person, also working at the shop, sustained severe burn injuries,” said Anand Superintendent of police Saurabh Singh.

The fire cracker shop caught fire apparently due to a short circuit, Singh said, adding the exact cause can only be ascertained by Forensic Science Laboratory experts.

“In the morning, when someone switched on the TV inside the shop, it caused a short circuit spark after which firecrackers stored inside the shop caught fire. Soon the entire shop was engulfed in fire,” Singh said.

The shop was located in a dense locality because of which at least five vehicles and a another adjoining shop were also damaged.

Three two-wheelers, a car and a tempo parked near the shop also caught fire, while a hair saloon situated near the shop was partially burnt before the fire brigade officials controlled it in nearly an hour, police said.

“Four fire tenders were rushed to the spot and fire was brought under control in nearly an hour,” the police said.