Kabul: The Taliban on Friday denied any talks with the Afghanistan government, after the head of the US and NATO forces in the country General John Nicholson said last week that both parties were holding a dialogue.
“We categorically reject this baseless claim made by General Nicholson. The policy of Islamic Emirate regarding talks and negotiations had been frequently announced and it does not have any secret layers,” Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement.
Mujahid accused Nicholson of making these “fabricated statements” to “divert attention from his failures” and keeping the American press “occupied with false allegations rather than exposing Trump’s failed strategy for Afghanistan”, reports Efe news.
On Wednesday, Nicholson compared the Asian country’s situation with the peace process in Colombia.
The general’s comparison took into account Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani’s proposal in February to hold peace negotiations with the Taliban.
The military called it “talking and fighting” and said that violence and progress can coexist, as is happening now in Afghanistan.
In February, Ghani’s offer to the Taliban included its political recognition, permission to open a political office, the issue of passports, facilitating relocation of their families and release of prisoners, among other offers.
Some Taliban factions accepted Ghani’s proposal with conditions but the main faction, led by Mullah Haibatullah, rejected the option calling the proposal for dialogue an effort to deceive and a conspiracy.
The insurgent group proposed a direct dialogue with the US, stating that the Afghanistan government is nothing more than a puppet in the hands of Washington.