Niloufer Hospital case: Postoperative bleeding led to Nusrath’s death

Hyderabad: 21-year-old Nusrath Begum was among the ill-fated women who died at Niloufer Hospital after delivering babies. It was her second delivery. Unfortunately during her first delivery her son died soon after birth, while her second delivery has left the newborn orphan. Nusrath was a single parent; she was not living with her husband since the past few months, so the upbringing of the newborn is now the responsibility of the grandmother.

According to her relatives Nusrath was brought to the hospital on January 31, she delivered a baby boy on February 1, and died on February 2, around 4 am. Her mother Yousuf Bi says “After the surgery, she was bleeding heavily. Doctors made us sign papers for a second surgery to correct the bleeding. They said the surgery was successful and took her to Osmania General Hospital (OGH) with an oxygen mask. After five minutes of reaching OGH, they said she is dead”.

“We were shocked when the duty doctors at OGH -where we shifted her following breathing difficulty -told us she had died two hours ago, much before we arrived at the hospital. I had to procure 15 units of blood from outside for her,“ said Mohammed Maqsood, deceased’s brother.

Nusrath’s sister alleged that doctors at OGH threatened to file a case on them if they took the body for post-mortem and therefore the family members backed out from autopsy.

Meanwhile alleging botch up in the Caesarian surgeries kin of the deceased Nusrath Begum staged sit-in protest at the hospital on Monday holding the four-day-old baby demanding action against the administration over the death.

It must be noted that in the last 10 days five women including Nusrath died after the C-section. The deceased are – Farah Fatima, Reena, Bushra Begum and Anusha. The hospital conducted nearly 44 C-sections between January 28 and February 4 and five women died after a cesarean section. The hospital superintendent said that Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (DIC) and abnormal bleeding caused the post-operative deaths.
The babies of the deceased women are alive and are said to be in good health.

Following the death of five pregnant women in a span of one week after they underwent Caesarean surgeries at Niloufer Hospital in the city, two of the operation theatres at the hospital were closed from Sunday.