After the announcement of the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast probe being handed over to the National Investigation Agency (NIA), sources say that even the 2006 serial blasts case in the city, too, is likely to be transferred to the NIA.
The central government had earlier asked the NIA to investigate the Samjhauta Express blast, in which dozens were killed near Panipat on February 19, 2007, as well as the Modassa bomb blast in Gujarat on September 29, 2008. “Most of these cases are interconnected and saffron groups are allegedly involved. The government wants one agency to probe all these cases as it seem to be part of a larger conspiracy,” said a Maharashtra anti-terrorism squad (ATS) officer. More importantly, said police sources, the accused in most of the cases are same. “For example, wanted accused Sandeep Dange and Ramji Kalsangra are suspected to be involved in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast, Mecca Masjid blast, the Ajmer dargah bomb blast and other cases,” said a police source.
The NIA, which is probing the Samjhauta Express blast, had arrested spiritual leader, Swami Aseemanand alias Naba Kumar Sarkar. The CBI has arrested five persons, belonging to hardline right-wing groups, for their alleged role in the Hyderabad Mecca Masjid blast. Similarly, the Rajasthan ATS has arrested five persons, suspected to be members of hardline outfit, Vande Matram, for their alleged role in the Ajmer dargah blast whereas the Maharashtra ATS arrested 12 accused affiliated to Vande Matram and Abhinav Bharat for their suspected role in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.
“The investigation agency has changed in the 2008 Malegaon blast case. However, it won’t affect the case or the trial,” said Rameshwar Geete, Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya’s lawyer.
“Aseemanand, in his confession, had said that the saffron groups had plotted the 2006 Malegaon blast. Even the CBI’s new team is going after the saffron groups,” a police source said.
“It is important that cases where the same group or people are suspected to be involved be handed over to one agency. This would ensure a fair probe,” said a senior officer. “The common link between all the accused and the blast cases, Sunil Joshi, has been murdered. It’s difficult to connect the dots. If the cases are with one agency, it will be easier for it to understand the larger conspiracy,” the officer added.
—————————Times of India———————