NIA arrests absconding accused for 2006 Kerala twin blasts

NEW DELHI: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday said it has arrested one of the men involved in the 2006 Kerala twin blaste from the airport here.

Mohammad Ashar, who had since been absconding, was arrested on Wednesday from the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport here after he arrived from Saudi Arabia, an NIA spokesperson told IANS.

“The cases pertain to the twin IED blasts that had occurred at the KSRTC and Mofussil Bus Stands in Calicut (Kozhikode) City on March 3, 2006, causing injuries to two persons besides damage to property. NIA had taken over the investigation of the cases on December 18, 2009 and had filed a chargesheet against eight accused persons, including Ashar,” the NIA said in a statement, reported The Hindu.

[also_read url=””]NIA arrested man in terror funding case[/also_read]

Ashar had escaped to the Middle East nation in 2007. He would be produced later in the day before an NIA Special Court in the national capital to obtain a transit remand to take him to Kochi for his production before the Special Court in Ernakulam.

The twin blasts near the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation and Mofussil bus stands had rocked Kozhikode on March 3, 2006, and left two persons injured and a few properties damaged.

The counter-terror agency had taken over the case from the Kerala Police in 2009 and filed the charge-sheet against eight accused in August 2010 under several sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), Arms Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The NIA official said that thier probe revealed that besides Ashar, another absconder P.P. Yusuf, was involved in the conspiracy hatched by prime accused T. Naseer and others to carry out the IED blasts after bail was denied to the accused involved in the Marad communal riots of 2003 in Kozhikode district.

Ashar and Yusuf had assisted Naseer in preparing the Improvised Explosive Devices and planting them.

[source_without_link]IANS inputs[/source_without_link]