New Zealand Mosque Attack: A Gentleman’s heroic act saved us all reveals attack survivor

Christchurch (New Zealand): It wasn’t for the heroic act of an unidentified man who held the shooter from behind until he dropped his weapon, the number of casualties would have been even more recalled the attack survivor.

As many as 49 worshippers who were praying in the Mosques were shot dead by the right-wing extremist yesterday in New Zealand’s Christchurch, NDTV reports.

The heroism of an unidentified man in the middle of the attack prevented the incident from turning into a much bigger tragedy.

“We were in a small mosque – measuring about a hundred square metres – and when you have a gunman coming in and opening fire in such circumstances, your heart beats faster and you can’t feel anything,” Faisal Sayed, who has been living in New Zealand for over 10 years.

“But a friend and I witnessed this gentleman creep up behind the shooter and hold him until his gun dropped,” he added.

The gentleman’s swift action forced the shooter to rush for the door of the Linwood Mosque.

“If that hadn’t happened, many more would have died and I wouldn’t be here now. Hats off to that man; I will definitely try and look him up,” he added.
When asked whether this incident has left Sayed a Mumbai man who migrated to New Zealand with any ill-feelings towards his adoptive country he replied No.

He reiterated that New Zealand was still one of the safest places in the world.

“I can’t speak for anybody else, but I have been in this beautiful country for the last 10 years and I don’t see my loved ones, my family or even my community facing any challenges. I will never be the one to pass judgment based on a single incident,” explained Mr Sayed.

Nor did the thought of leaving the country cross his mind after the incident.
“Not an option,” said Mr Sayed when asked if he is willing to leave New Zealand. “I love New Zealand, I love the people around here, and I have received more calls from Kiwi families and friends than anybody else. Even people I worked with over 10 years ago have been texting to find out if everything is alright.”

The need of the hour is to reassure families of the injured believes the survivor.

“There were a lot of casualties, and a lot of people have been calling. People tend to judge and jump the gun, but spreading the right message is key to making everything alright again.”

Three people, including an Australian in his late twenties, were immediately taken into custody after the massacre while of them is charged with murder.