New Delhi, Oct. 18 : Silencing their critics, the Delhi Police on Sunday announced that the arrests made in the Nangloi rape case, where a toddler was raped, had been done in a swift operation in the ‘shortest possible time’.
Deepender Pathak, South-West Joint Commissioner Police, said here today that ‘law and order’ and ‘media management’ strategies were formed immediately after a national ‘furore’ had been created over the minor’s rape.
“The Delhi police and the district police mustered all its resources and more than 20 teams were formed. In the process, almost 250-260 suspects were interrogated. Local intelligence was collected and the scientific evidence and leads were worked upon. Finally, late night yesterday, we could zero down and apprehend the two delinquents, giving rest to much of the speculation and hype by the media,” Pathak told the media here.
Talking about the victim’s condition, the top cop announced that she was doing fine and would be discharged from the hospital in 24 hours.
On Friday, the two juveniles abducted and raped the girl during a brief power outage at Nangloi.
“The incident had happened after a power cut in the area in which the assailants found an opportunity and whisked away the little child and committed the deplorable act of violence on her in a nearby park. The juveniles have been apprehended and further investigation is on. All the concerned evidences are being collected,” Pathak added.
The Delhi Police had come under criticism after the twin rape cases of minors emerged from the national capital, and with these swift arrests and speedy probe, it seems like they have vindicated themselves for the time-being. (ANI)