Ahmedabad : Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Prakash Javadekar on Tuesday welcomed the Indian and Chinese troops’ decision to withdraw from Doklam, and said that the mutual understanding has proved to be a ‘victory for India.’
“The mutual understanding between both the nations has proved to be a victory for India. Both the nations decided to disengage and have thereby, put an end to the ongoing tension prevailing for two to three months. Every political party in the country has welcomed this move and I think it’s a big success for India,” Javadekar told media here.
On Monday, India and China agreed to end their over two-month-long stand-off in the Doklam Plateau by reaching an understanding not to let their long standing differences become disputes.
India-China stand-off at Doklam, near the Sikkim-Tibet-Bhutan trijunction, had been going on for more than two months and the situation arose after China started constructing a road in the area.
India objected to the road construction after the Chinese troops ignored Bhutanese protests, triggering a face-off on June 16.
The agreement to disengage in Doklam comes ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to China for the BRICS summit.