Following the terror attacks in Dhaka earlier this month, England’s tour of Bangladesh seems to be hanging by a thread. England are scheduled to play three One-Day Internationals and two Tests starting from October this year.
The Bangladesh Cricket Board hasalready made it clear that they won’t play in any neutral venue and, on Wednesday (July 20), skipper Mashrafe Mortaza hoped that the tour will go ahead. “I personally hope that the tour goes ahead,” he said. “Cricket followers in Bangladesh have been waiting for a long time for a home series. Bangladeshi people love cricket, and they hope that England are coming for the tour. I am hopeful they (England) will come to hold on to the cricket culture.
“England have always helped Bangladesh. They had sent the team in the Under-19 World Cup. They will certainly get security, as much as what other cricket teams get when they come here. Bangladeshi people respect cricketers. I don’t think there will be a problem.”
Mortaza said their job is to focus on their cricket and the board will take care of the other issues. “There are still three months left so I remain hopeful of the tour. We should keep focusing on our fitness. BCB will take care of the rest,” he said.
England and Wales Cricket Board, on the other hand, had said that they’ll seek the advice of the government before going ahead with the tour. A number of terrorists had stormed into the Holey Artisan Bakery cafe in the Gulshan district of Dhaka and killed 29 people including 20 hostages.