New delhi I: External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Saturday said those guilty in an alleged gang-rape of an American woman in March this year at a luxury hotel here won’t be spared and has asked Delhi Police to register a case.
However, a case was yet to be filed even as the woman had, in an email written to Delhi Police, said that she was raped by five men at a Connaught Place five-star hotel during her visit to India.
Taking cognizance of media reports about the alleged rape, Ms Swaraj in a series of tweets said she spoke to Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung and Indian Ambassador in US Navtej Sarna about the matter.
“I have seen the media reports about gang rape of an American tourist in Delhi in March this year,” she said.
She said she told Mr Jung that “police should register a case and bring the guilty to book.
“I have also asked the Indian Ambassador in the US to contact the victim and assure her that we will not spare the guilty,” Sushma Swaraj added.
Delhi Police had earlier received an e-mail complaint from the woman about the alleged gang-rape.
The woman has said she had hired a tourist guide who, she alleged, was one of the rapists.
Police sources told IANS that they were investigating the allegations and have questioned some employees of the hotel. “A case will be registered soon on the basis of the victim’s statement,” a police officer said.