Maid tortured case: NHRC issues notice to Kerala Govt.

Ernakulam: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Friday issued a notice to the Kerala government over the case of a made being tortured by police, asking was an interim relief had not been paid to the victim.

The NHRC asked the government that why was Rs. 3 lakh not paid to the victim as relief even as six police personnel are facing criminal proceedings.

In the case of torture of a house maid by personnel in Cheranallur Police Station, a show cause notice has been issued to the Chief Secretary of the state government as to why an interim relief has not been recommended to be paid to the victim. He has been given six weeks to respond.

Justice D. Murugesan, member of the commission, on the basis of the material on record, has observed that the extent of police torture meted out to the victim is clearly established.

The conduct of the erring police officials seems to have transgressed all the limits on its power and the same amounts to a gross violation of the human rights of the victim.

The Commission took cognizance of the matter on the basis of the a complaint that a house maid, Leeba Ratheesh, was taken to the police station on a complaint of missing gold from the house of her employer.

“The police kept her in detention for 38 hours and severely tortured her. She was also denied food and drinking water during the custody. After she was released on bail, her friends took her to the District Hospital, Ernakulam. On medical examination, it was found that she had suffered serious spinal injuries due to police torture,” a statement said.

Pursuant to the directions of the Commission, a report was received confirming the torture she was subjected to by the six police personnel, including a Sub-Inspector, Assistant Sub-Inspector and four lady police constables.

They were suspended from the service and a criminal case number 1086/2014 under Sections 342/323/321/325/294(b)/354 & 34 IPC was registered against them and the investigation in the matter was on by the Crime Branch, Ernakulam. (ANI)