Ankara: Turkish president Tayyip Erdogan has challenged Saudi Arabia to prove that missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi left Istanbul consulate. Turkish investigative officers believe that the journalists of Washington Post who was living in self-exile in the US for the past one year has been killed.
The Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi has been missing since last week. The disappearance of Khashoggi has sparked global concern. More so after Turkish sources said over the weekend that authorities believed he was killed inside the consulate.
Khashoggi was a prominent newspaper editor in Saudi Arabia and an adviser to its former head of intelligence. He left Saudi Arabia last year fearing retribution for his criticism of Saudi policy in the Yemen war and its crackdown on dissent.
Last Tuesday, Khashoggi entered the consulate in Istanbul to obtain documents for his forthcoming marriage. According to Saudi officials, he left shortly afterwards. However, his fiancée, who was waiting outside, said he never appeared.
Erdogan is personally following the case. He asked Saudi authorities to prove through footage that Khashoggi had left the consulate. Meanwhile, Turkey has asked for permission to search Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul. Khashoggi’s disappearance is likely to further deepen divisions between Turkey and Saudi Arabia. Senior advisor to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Yasin Aktay said that his country will not spare killers of Khashoggi.