Kathua rape: Nothing deterred these two to do justice to their role

NEW DELHI: Nothing deterred these two who despite been criticized, harassed and threatened rose above caste and communal politics and do justice to their role.

Deepika Singh Rajawat and a senior IPS Officer officer—Ramesh Kumar Jalla from the Kashmiri Pandit community have made significant contributions to bring justice to the little Asifa and her family.

Asifa Bano, an eight-year-old girl from the nomadic Bakerwal Muslim community disappeared near her house while grazing horses on January 10 in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kathua district. She was held captive inside a temple, and was sedated and again raped thrice before being bludgeoned to death.

A week later, her body was recovered from Rassana forest in Kathua district of Jammu on January 17.

Deepika Singh Rajawat

It was only after 38-year-old lawyer  filed a writ petition at the Jammu and Kashmir High Court, the investigation was handed over to the Crime Branch.

Despite receiving open threats, the mother of 5-year-old daughter hasn’t given up  and her focus is reportedly on seeking justice for Asifa and her family.

“If they (lawyers) say the real culprits are being shielded, the onus is on them to name the real culprits,” she said. “They are calling me anti-national and anti-Jammu; I am not an alien, I am from Jammu,” she added.

In another Facebook post that she put up on 9 April, she said:

And helpers in ladies bar room at trial courts have been directed not to offer me water by Jammu and Kashmir Bar Association, Jammu.

IPS Officer Ramesh Kumar Jalla

Coming to crime branch investigation, Senior Superintendent of Police (Crime Branch) Ramesh Kumar Jalla is “known for an impeccable track record when it comes to handling sensitive cases,” report by Cobrapost.

Jalla,  a 1994 batch officer of J&K cadre along with his investigating teams had worked round the clock despite constant protests and tremendous pressure from those supporting the accused (which includes the BJP minister who had also participated in the protest march of the Hindu Ekta March).

They completed the investigation into the horrific rape and murder case of Asifa in reportedly “record time” and had finally filed the chargesheet to the magistrate on April 9, at least 10 days ahead of the 90-day deadline fixed by the High Court.

Ramesh, however denied any pressure coming from the top officials during the course of investigation despite arresting his colleagues.

“Fortunately, I didn’t have any pressure from anyone. Nobody approached or pressured me. No minister, no politician ever talked to me about this,” he said to Asia Times.

With their efforts and determination and a fair share of hurdles, they to do what’s right and we are hopeful that justice will be served.