‘Interaction with Sachin helped overcome Ashes blues’

New Delhi, October 03: Young Australian opener Phillip Hughes said an interaction with Indian batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar helped him get over the disappointment of being dropped during the Ashes series.
Hughes, 20, was dropped from the third Ashes Test at Edgbaston.

The New South Wale Blues player last month flew to India to meet his batting coach Neil D’Costa in Nagur who is helping out at a newly built academy. It is here Hughes expressed his wish to meet Tendulkar.

“I asked Neil if it is possible to meet Tendulkar. He said we will see. It was nice of Tendulkar to agree. He is such a great player and I was humbled that he took couple of hours from his hectic schedule to have a chat,” Hughes, who will be representing Blues in the Twenty20 Champions League beginning next week, said.

“It was more of a one-on-one general interaction. Nothing technical but more about the training aspect and approach to the game. We spoke on the mental side of the thing. It helped me immensely,” Hughes added.

—IANS