Abu Kabshah ‘Amr bin Sa’d (RadiyAllahu Anhu) reported: Messenger of Allah (Sallellahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) said:
“I swear by Allah for three (qualities) which I am going to tell you about. Remember them well:
(1) The wealth of a man will not diminish by Sadaqah (charity).
(2) Allah augments the honour of a man who endures an oppression patiently.
(3) He who opens a gate of begging, Allah opens a gate of poverty (or he said a word similar to it).”
He (Sallellahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) also said, “Remember well what I am going to tell you;
The world is for four kinds of people:
(1) One upon whom Allah has bestowed wealth and knowledge and so he fears his Rubb in respect to them, joins the ties of blood relationship and acknowledges the Rights of Allah on him (and fulfills them); this type will have the best position (in Jannah).
(2) One upon whom Allah has conferred knowledge but no wealth, and he is sincere in his intention and says: ‘Had I possessed wealth, I would have acted like so-and-so.’ If that is his intention, his reward is the same as that of the other.
(3) One whom Allah has given wealth but no knowledge and he squanders his wealth ignorantly, does not fear Allah in respect to it, does not discharge the obligations of kinship and does not acknowledge the Rights of Allah. Such a person will be in the worst position (in the Hereafter).
(4) One upon whom Allah has bestowed neither wealth nor knowledge and he says: ‘Had I possessed wealth, I would have acted like so and so (i.e., he would squander his wealth).’ If this is his intention, both will have equal sin.”
This Hadith highlights the following points:
1. Those who forgive people and pardon them will be granted honour and elevation both in this life and in the Hereafter.
2. Those who have sufficient means to live on and still beg of people out of greed, will be afflicted with poverty.
3. The Hadith also urges us to acquire religious knowledge, and also the practise of this knowledge along with the intention to please Allah Alone.
4. The Hadith also criticizes ignorance of religious teachings and ignorant people, for ignorance can easily lead one to commit forbidden acts.
May Allah (SWT) protect us from being amongst the Ignorant. Aameen!