Indian Women’s Football League: Sethu FC beat India Rush 3-2

Shillong: Sethu FC came back from behind to defeat India Rush SC 3-2 in a group stage match of the second edition of the Indian Women’s League at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong, Meghalaya on Wednesday.

In a scintillating first-half, India Rush FC took the lead in the 2nd minute of the match itself when Samiksha burst onto goal and scored, stunning Sethu FC’s defence in the process. Rattled, Sethu FC dug deep and started to dominate possession, whilst showing signs of brilliance in the attacking third.

In the 22nd minute, Bangladesh International Sabina Khatun scored for Sethu FC to level proceedings and make it 1-1. Two minutes later, SETHU FC almost took the lead but the resulting shot went wide of the goal as India Rush SC survived a scare.

Indumathi tapped home a low cross from the left flank in the 44th minute to give Sethu FC a solitary goal lead as the scoreline read 2-1, but in a frantic ending to the half India Rush SC scored courtesy of Nisha in the 45th minute to make it 2-2. But that was not all.

In the added extra time of the first half, Sethu FC were awarded a penalty but Indumathi shot wide of the goal as the half-time scoreline read 2-2

Changing over, Sethu FC continued their attacking momentum and in the 49th minute, Indhrani’s header from inside the box went inches over the bar.

The intensity of the second half was nowhere near the first as both teams gauged each other and approached cautiously. In the 70th minute, Dalima Chhibber’s freekick went over the bar as India Rush SC proceeded to up the ante.

But not for long as Sethu FC, determined to grab points out of the fixture, committed bodies into defence and thwarted attacks with ease. However in the 77th minute, Sethu FC rattled the woodwork to give India Rush a scare.

In the 86th minute, Sabina Khatun finished her chance with perfection and scored to give Sethu FC a solitary goal lead as the scoreline read 3-2. Shortly after, Sethu FC had the chance to double their lead but failed to make the most out of it.

The full-time scoreline read 3-2 as Sethu FC emerged eventual victors.