Hyderabad: A furniture godown beside a petrol pump at Hindi Nagar near Moazzam Jahi Market caught fire this afternoon. There are some other godowns located in the busy market area at Nampally.
On seeing the rising flames from the furniture godown, fear-stricken residents in the area ran helter skelter to save their lives. The alert Begum Bazaar police informed the Fire Service Station in Gowliguda about the fire. The Fire Service tenders rushed to the spot and started extinguishing the fire.
Begum Bazaar police said short-circuit was stated to be the reason for the fire burst in the godown. Providentially there was no loss of life. As one fire engine was not sufficient to douse the fire, a few more fire engines were called to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading to other parts of the building. Two cars reportedly gutted in the fire.
The Fire Services Department officials said a short-circuit could have caused the fire, which broke out suddenly in the godown. There has been a major loss of property but no casualties or fatalities were reported.