Hyderabad Top Stories

“We were handcuffed and locked up by immigration officials” says Hyderabad Girl

“We were handcuffed and locked up by immigration officials” says Hyderabad Girl

The city that sends the maximum number of students to American varsities facing a deportation by the Immigration officers. Adding to the latest controversy of deportation of Indian students another girl student from Hyderabad who were deported by US authorities has alleged that she was handcuffed and locked up by immigration official.

It is to be noted that because of immigration problem that arose last month, nearly 200 Indian students have been deported in the last fortnight by US authorities to Hyderabad.

Almost all of these students who were seeking admissions in the Northwestern Polytechnic and Silicon Valley universities in California were sent back from ports of entry like San Francisco, New York and the US immigration checkpoint in Abu Dhabi.

The young woman, a graduate in business administration says her only “offence” was to join an institute recognized by the US consulate in‚ÄČIndia but classified as “blacklisted” by the US immigration department.

According to HT news she took off for the United States on December 30 and was to take a flight from Dallas to San Jose to get admission for an MBA programme at the Silicon Valley University.

Her worries did not end there, she says. “In the name of procedure, the officials handcuffed me along with a few other Indian students, made us wear a uniform and put us in a cell with other offenders for over nine hours,” she said recounting “the horror”.

“They told me to go back to India as joining such a university would spoil my career,” she said. “‘Apply for a good university and come back’, I was told.”

The students say they are angry with the Indian government “for not acting tough with the US and not helping out the Indian students”.

Karunakar, another student from the AP state, said the officials treated them like thieves. “All our papers are proper, but still we were handcuffed,” said the student who returned on Saturday.