According to the latest finding germ counts around jet air dryers were many times higher than they were in the paper towel. The researchers found high levels of dangerous bacteria that cause blood poisoning, pneumonia and gastroenteritis when dryers were used.
Researchers at the University of Westminster compared to paper towels, warm air dryers and jet dryers, Participants were asked to dip their gloved hands into a solution of a harmless virus, MS2. samples were collected from the air and surfaces at different distances from where the drying took place and the results were shocking.
When people use a jet-air dryer, the microbes get blown off and spread around the toilet room. In effect, the dryer creates an aerosol that contaminates the toilet room, including the dryer itself and potentially the sinks, floor and other surfaces, depending on the dryer design and where it is sited.”
“Next time you dry your hands using an electric hand dryer, you may be spreading bacteria without knowing it. You may also be splattered with bugs from other people’s hands,” says Professor.
“These findings are important for understanding the ways in which bacteria spread, with the potential to transmit illness and disease.”
This is why experts are saying that air hand dryers should be banned from hospital toilets because they blow bacteria around the room.