Girl student dies of burns while cooking food

A ninth standard girl student died of burns while cooking food on a kerosene stove at Pillaiyarkulam village in the district, police said.

The girl, who also used to work part time in a mill, was cooking food when her dress accidentally caught fire.

She sustained severe burns and was rushed to Srivilliputtur Government hospital where she was administered first aid.

She was later taken to the government hospital at Sivakasi, where she died without responding to treatment.