Five ultras in city bomb blasts case sentenced to death

Five ultras in city bomb blasts case sentenced to death

For the first time in the annals of the country, five Indian Mujaheedin members involved in terrorist activities were sentenced to death today in connection with the twin bomb blasts in the crowded Dilsukhanagar area in the city on February 21, 2013 in which 19  persons were killed and 138 others injured .

The NIA Special Court today pronounced its judgment in the sensational case which had attracted nation-wide attention following the dastardly terrorist act in the city three-and-a-half years ago. However, the main accused in the terrorist attack Riaz Bhaktal, considered to be the brain behind the terrorist attack, is still absconding and stated to be hiding in Pakistan and a red alert was pending for his arrest.

Those who were sentenced to death today were Yasin Bhaktal, Asadullah Akhtar, Eizaj , Wakab and Ziaul Rehman. The NIA, which investigated and filed charge-sheet against the accused persons in the Special Court, which on December 13, 2016 found them guilty of the charges and reserved its quantum of sentence. The court sentenced the five accused under IPC Sections 120 B, 121, 121A, 122, 307, 316, 318, 436, 466, 474 and so on. While pronouncing the sentence, the court also declared that adequate compensation should be paid to the families of the victims.

It may be recalled that the accused IM terrorists had planned to target crowded areas in the city. Accordingly, the plan was prepared by the still absconding Riaz Bhaktal in Bengaluru and then the accused moved into the city for selecting the target. After zeroing on Dilsukhnagar area, which is a hub for a number of educational institutions, especially in the IT sector, the accused rented a house in the area to put their plan into action.

Accordingly, after assembling the detonators and fixing them in pressure cookers, the accused persons planted them at two places in close proximity on bicycles. As a matter of fact, senior police officials, including then Commissioner of Police Anurag Sharma had a close shave as the blast occurred within minutes after he emerged from Saibaba temple nearby. The two blasts, which took place in a span of minutes, claimed 19 lives and injured 138 persons.

The twin blasts had caused a sensation nation-wide and turned out to be litmus test for the Hyderabad police to nab the accused behind this heinous act. After the arrest of the five accused and subsequent prosecution, the police presented 150 witnesses and scores of material evidence to bring home the guilt of the accused. At last, the efforts of the NIA to bring to justice all those involved in the heinous terrorist act paid off with the court sentencing them to death. The accused, however, have an opportunity to appeal against the judgment in the higher courts. (NSS)