Islamabad, September 01: At least five militants, including two top commanders, were killed and 12 others injured Tuesday by security forces in Pakistan’s restive Khyber tribal region bordering Afghanistan in an operation against a banned group during which three hideouts of insurgents were also destroyed.
The operation against Lashkar-e-Islam group was launched this morning after curfew was clamped in the region. The homes of several militant commanders and three hideouts were demolished by troops at Bara in Khyber Agency and 28 insurgents were also arrested.
Tariq Hayat Khan, the Political Agent of the semi-autonomous tribal region, said security forces were conducting a search operation to clear the Bara area of militants and armed groups.
He said that militant commanders Abdul Rehman and Murad were among those killed. Three security personnel were also injured in the fighting, he added.
Frontier Corps officials said an operation had been launched in the area after a gap of a month.
Lashkar-e-Islam spokesman Zar Khan demanded that the operation should be halted immediately.
–Agencies