New Delhi: A fire broke out at a godown of a footwear shop in north Delhi’s Kamla Nagar market today in which leather goods worth lakh of rupees were destroyed, the police said.
No casualty has been reported in the incident so far, they said.
The fire broke out on the third floor of a four-storeyed building at 9.10 am, an official of the Delhi Fire Services said, adding no one was in the godown when the fire broke out.
Around 12 fire tenders were pressed into service and the fire was doused by 11 am, he added.
The shop is on the ground floor of the building, while the godown is on the third floor. Leather bags and footwear were gutted in the fire suspected to have been triggered by a short-circuit, the police said.
The fire spread quickly as the godown was closed from all the sides. The fire services personnel had to break the roof to douse the flames.
Last year, a fire had broken out in a ladies’ purse shopping Kamla Nagar market and goods worth Rs 10-15 lakh were gutted in the blaze.