Fire breaks out in a footwear shop in Amritsar

Amritsar: A fire broke out in a footwear shop at Katra Jaimal Singh market located inside the thickly- populated walled city but no one was injured, the police said today.

A short circuit in the wiring of a diesel generator kept on the top floor of the three-storey building caused the fire, and leather and rubber materials kept on all floors of the showroom fuelled the flames, they said.

Four fire tenders were pressed into service and it took nearly three hours to bring the blaze under control. Three cranes were also deployed to put out the flames on the top floor of the building, police said.