Kanpur: An FIR has been registered in the tragic Indore-Kanpur Express train derailment, in which over 140 have been killed and more than 180 injured.
“A case has been registered in the matter and an investigation will follow. Right now our focus is on rescue and relief,” said Uttar Pradesh, Director General of Police, Javeed Ahmed.
Also present at the site of the accident, Principal Secretary (Home) Debashish Panda said that the priority at the moment is to provide relief and handover the bodies of the victims to their family.
The death toll in the Kanpur rail tragedy where the Indore-Patna Express derailed, mounted to 145 on Monday while the search operations for any survivors came to an end.
Five National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams comprising 250 people were involved in the massive rescue operations that lasted for over 30 hours, in which continuous attempts were made to fish out bodies and possible survivors from the wreckage.
UP DGP Javeed Ahmed confirmed to ANI that 123 bodies have been identified so far and from them, 110 have been handed over to their kin.
Among the dead, many were those who succumbed to their grave injuries in the hospitals.
Earlier today, Union Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu said that the government has ordered an inquiry into the Kanpur train tragedy and added that a forensic investigation is required to look into every possible angle.
“Inquiry by the Commission of Railway Safety into the accident has been ordered to determine the correct cause of accident. There shall be a separate comprehensive forensic investigation by an appropriate agency to look into every possible angle,” Prabhu said in the Lok Sabha.
He added that adequate help and assistance is being provided to the passengers and appropriate action would be taken against the guilty.