FIR logged against sweeper, nurse after delay of treatment to child for bribe

New Delhi: An FIR was on Friday registered against a sweeper and a nurse of a government hospital after parents of a child , who died in the hospital on August 9, alleged that the staff members demanded bribe and delayed treatment to the their 10-month-old son.

“FIR (on charges of corruption) has been registered against sweeper Pawan, who has been arrested, and staff nurse Asha Singh on complaint of the victim’s parents,” a senior health department officer said.

He said action has also been initiated against seven health officials.

SP, Bahraich, Salikram Verma confirmed the sweeper’s arrest.

The death of the baby has triggered an outrage, prompting Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to remove the Chief Medical Superintendent.

BSP supremo Mayawati and BJP state chief Keshav Prasad Maurya attacked the Uttar Pradeshgovernment over the incident.

The state government has ordered suspension of the nurse Asha and terminated the contract of health workers-Subhashini Verma, Sangeeta, Sanat Kumar Singh, Mukeed Ahmad, and sweeper Satrohan and Virendra, the official said.

District Magistrate Abhay also has instituted a probe panel headed by ADM Vidya Shankar Singh .

An inquiry is also being conducted by a panel of three doctors.

Singh said the probe prima facie indicated that the staff nurse and sweeper had taken money for admission of the child and providing a bed.

The infant’s father Shivdutt, a daily wager, alleged that his son Krishna died because the hospital staff delayed administering a “crucial injection” while demanding bribe for the same.

The victim’s family also alleged the infant was given “a wrong injection” by the nurse leading to his death on the morning of August 9.

Shivdutt said his son was down with high fever and had admitted him in the district hospital on August 7 for treatment after paying Rs 100 to the nurse and Rs 30 to a sweeper for securing a bed in the children’s ward.

Meanwhile, taking suo motu cognizance of the incident, the National Human Rights Commission, acting on the basis of media reports, issued a notice to Uttar Pradesh government seeking a report within four weeks.