Dalit couple electrocuted to death in UP

A Dalit couple was electrocuted to death when a high tension wire snapped and fell on them in Atkacholi village here. The incident took place yesterday when Isham Singh (40) and his wife Sangita (38) were collecting grass in the fields and the high tension wire fell on them, killing them on spot, police said today.

Irate locals protested over the incident and demanded repairing of the line, they said, adding, the bodies have been sent for postmortem. In another incident, a 19-year-old youth identified as Ashu was electrocuted to death yesterday when he came in contact with a high tension wire at Budhana town in the district. The incident took place when he was working with a grass cutting machine, police said.