Couple dies after drinking ‘poisonous’ liquor

Jajpur: A couple died in Dharmasala area of Jajpur district today allegedly after consuming poisonous liquor, police said.

The incident occurred at Kotapur village under Dharmasala area, though the deceased were from Itagadi village of neighbouring Bhadrak district.

Bhaskar Chandra Das (58) and his wife Sony (52) were residing with other family members in a makeshift shed for a couple of months and were working as daily labourers.

According to their family members, the two complained of stomach pain after drinking country liquor last night and they were found dead this morning.

“It is suspected that the the liquor was poisonous,” said Rubi, the couple’s daughter.

Police said the bodies have been sent for post mortem and the cause of the death would be ascertained after post mortem.