New Delhi : Questioning Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s silence over the recent incidents of attacks on Indians in the United States, the Congress Party on Thursday said such incidents have increased after President Donald Trump took charge.
Leader of the Congress in Lok Sabha, Mallikarjun Kharge, demanded Prime Minister Modi to make a statement on the issue in Parliament.
“Such incidents have increased after the new U.S. President has taken charge. The Prime Minister tweets on every other issue. Why doesn’t he talk on this issue? Why is he silent? He should make a statement today,” Kharge said while addressing the second part of the Budget Session in Lok Sabha.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has said that the government has taken up the matter of incidents regarding attacks on Indians in U.S, adding a statement on behalf of the Government of India would be given in the Parliament next week.
“We will take steps to ensure that Indians in USA feel secure there. The government will make a detailed statement soon,” Singh said in Lok Sabha.
Meanwhile, AIADMK leader M. Thambidurai said it is high time that India should intervene and protect its citizens and see to it that such incidents don’t repeat.
An Indian engineer Srinivas Kuchibhotla was killed and another Indian Alok Madasani was injured in a shooting by navy veteran Adam Purinton, who yelled ‘terrorist’ and ‘get out of my country’ before opening fire on them in Kansas last month.