AP: Boy, 4, dies after swallowing rubber toy in snack packet

AMARAVATI: A miniature toy, kept in a snack pack to lure children into buying the packet, turned out to be fatal for a four-year-old boy who mistakenly swallowed it.

The incident happened in Eluru town of Andhra Pradesh’s West Godavari district.

The minor, identified as Nireekshan Kumar, bought a snack packet and consumed a free toy inside the packet at his home last evening.

The tiny toy was stuffed inside the snack pack and, after a few bites of the tomato rings and unsuspectingly chewed and swallowed the plastic toy along with tomato rings mistaking it for an eatable, he said.


Victim’s father, Lakshman said the boy immediately fell down unconscious and was rushed to a government hospital, where the doctors declared him brought dead.

“He then started vomiting and froth oozed out of his mouth when his mother saw him. Stuck in the throat, the toy caused the boy to choke as the efforts to pull it out failed,” the official said.

The boy’s parents later filed a police complaint with the town police against the snack manufacturer, he said.

A case under relevant sections pertaining to unnatural death was registered in connection with the incident, the official said.

With agencies input