Gurugram: A major fire broke out in a Nuh’s Rohingya Refugee camp in Haryana’s Mewat late on Sunday evening. It was reported that residential shacks of more than 50 families burnt down, leaving at least 208 members including women and children are homeless.
This fire #Rohingya refuges incident is in Chandeni camp 1in Mewat at around 2:50 pm while most of the families , the fire started from Alishan's home in the absence of his family. No body knew that how the incident happened.
foods, clothes water medicine and emergency shelter. pic.twitter.com/oZi32EP6dh
— Rohingya Human Rights Initiative – R4R (ROHRIngya) (@ROHRIngya) May 27, 2018
Prima facie, it appears that the fire was triggered by a short circuit. Though no casualties have been reported so far but the families residing have lost almost all their belongings including documents.
A major fire tore through their refugee camp in Firozpur namak – Chandeni , of Mewat's Nuh area (Haryana, India) in noon today, devouring everything in its path. Now those #Rohingyas have nowhere to go. @ProtectRohingya @Refugees @USAmbIndia @FreefromTorture pic.twitter.com/5qihL7ZD1S
— Dr. Shahid Siddiqui (@shahidsiddiqui) May 27, 2018
The shelter camp is near the Chandeni area of Ferozepur Namak village in the district and has been home to Rohingya refugees since 2012. The homeless Rohingya refugees are leaving without any real help.
On April 15 this year, a massive fire had burnt down a Rohingya camp in New Delhi’s Kalindi Kunj rendered some 230 of them homeless.